Jul 6, 2007


I walked into this moment not expecting it at all. I was riding along with a Hospice nurse and the last time she had seen this gentleman he was in good health. The day before we showed up he had become unresponsive, and the day after I took this picture he passed away.

The girl sitting with him is his granddaughter. I was struck by her love for him, and by her commitment. She stayed up all night with him the night before he died, and was right there as he passed away. She didn't run away, look away, or give any sense that she was uncomfortable watching he grandfather. She loved him, and she wanted to be by his side. To witness even just fifteen minutes of their interaction was amazing and incredibly touching. I feel lucky to have been witness to such love and care.

No comments: